Inspiring design ideas for outdoor living spaces
We all love vacations. There’s just something about the fresh air and reconnection with the natural world that makes us feel more relaxed – freer to be our true selves. Although vacations are fleeting by nature, there is a way to achieve the same relaxing and liberating effect in your very own backyard. By creating outdoor living spaces – from simple fire pits to contemporary outdoor kitchens – you can create your own private oasis where you can enjoy nature in its entire splendor.
We often spend a great deal of time and effort designing the interior of our homes, but the exterior deserves equal attention. A few creative design flourishes can make your outdoor space a true extension of your home, not to mention a tranquil center for family, friends, and guests to enjoy.
Do you need a little inspiration before creating your backyard paradise? Allow some of the latest and greatest outdoor living space design trends to spark your imagination!
Most popular outdoor living spaces
Design trends and ideas for outdoor living spaces
- Make grilling a social event. Outdoor kitchens with grills are a great way to introduce an element of fun and hospitality to your backyard. However, it can be incredibly frustrating when you want to entertain your guests, but instead are stuck in front of the grill cooking everyone’s burgers to order. Luckily, there is a simple design solution to this problem – install a bar height table and chairs close to the grill so that you can chat while flipping those patties.
- Cozy up to the fire. After the sun goes down and the evening chill begins to creep in, there’s no better way to extend your time outdoors than with a fireplace or fire pit. Outdoor fireplaces can easily be integrated into the design of your outdoor kitchen. You can have your food preparation and cooking area on one end and a comfortable sitting area with a fireplace on the opposite end. That way you and your guests can bask in the warm glow of the fire long into the night. If you yearn for the rugged atmosphere of camping, you can forego the grill entirely and instead install a fire pit with special grates for grilling.
- Cool off in the shade. You could go with conventional methods of outdoor shading like canopies and umbrellas, but pergolas provide an interesting design twist. Pergolas consist of pillars, posts, and archways with cross beams on top. They are ideal for stringing outdoor lights or using with climbing plants like roses or ivy to create beautiful and wide open outdoor shaded areas.
- Incorporate some mood lighting. Nothing accentuates an outdoor living space in the evening hours quite like strategic lighting. To create a great ambiance while maintaining functionality, try using several different types of lights. For instance, you can use brighter, overhead lighting in food preparation and grilling areas but dim and diffused lighting in the outdoor seating areas. If there is a particular design feature that you want to highlight, like a water fountain, you should have several lights shining directly on that object to draw attention to it.
- Surprise people with unconventional materials. Natural materials like wood and stone are a popular choice for outdoor living spaces for obvious reasons. But why not shake things up a bit by juxtaposing the lush, organic green of your backyard with ultra modern materials like stainless steel? Countertops, stools, tables, and grills provide excellent opportunities for incorporating a splash of modernity.
The design possibilities for outdoor living areas are virtually limitless. Simply let the beauty of the natural world serve as your inspiration!